Thursday, January 29, 2009

Honey, Honey

No, I'm not singing you a sweet ABBA song. I'm singing about something a little closer to home today. At least I hope it's a little closer to home.

Today I write about real, straight from the comb honey. I have my own source - do you? Do you know where that honey you're eating and feeding your children came from? Are you sure it's even real honey?

One of our local newspapers, the Seattle Post Intelligencer, conducted a five-month investigation that resulted in a short series of news stories a few weeks ago. The first two stories can be read by copying the following links into your browser:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/394053_honey30.asp

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/394054_honeyhealth30.asp

So if the US-based honey packers are purchasing their honey outside the US and can't be sure of it's origin, how can you unless you're raising your own bees or know a beekeeper?

Lots of questions and many things to consider. This isn't the reason I keep my own bees and harvest my own honey - but it sure reinforces my desire!

3 comments:

  1. is it hard or very time consuming to raise your own bees nad harvest your own honey. I might bee (hehe) interested

    ReplyDelete
  2. vic, i seriously want you to school me w/what you're learning! i have already learned so much from you. b/c of our portland trip w/pearly girly i have been feeding my family mostly organic/whole foods for the past year 1/2 but i want to learn more!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just talked to my neighbor about this, yesterday. He used to keep bees and harvest his own honey. He warned us that if it says "raw" on the bottle, and you don't see little pieces of honeycomb, or even little bee parts (hmmm), that it isn't REALLY raw and has been filtered through something or other. Interesting. Did you get your bees reestablished?

    ReplyDelete